Friday 7 October 2011

Easy Peasy Milk Tart

On a day like today (cold, wet, horrible and generally dreich!) I tend to look for nice, easy warming baking recipes when I feel the need to go into the kitchen.

I got the recipe from my absolute favourite baking site Baking Mad which has always been ridiculously helpful when I just fancy throwing something together but don't want to look through the MANY cook books I own... Since the recipe was essentially 'mix all ingredients together and put in a pie dish' it won me over for easiness.

150g self raising flour
150g golden caster sugar
500ml of whole milk (I used skimmed because it was all I had and it turned out okay,,,)
2 eggs
25g melted butter
teaspoon of vanilla extract

The recipe also called to put slice apples and dried cranberries on the top which I very nearly did. But when I saw the almonds on the baking shelf in the pantry I thought it would go better with the custardyness of the pie. I also put a sprinkling of cinnamon on the top (something I generally reserve for winter recipes but it definitely felt like winter today!!).

The recipe genuinely was 'put all ingredients into a mixer, mix, pour into a buttered pie dish, put in oven at 170degrees for 45 minutes'. Sorted. It was all chucked into the mixer and poured as described.






When it came out it was fairly gooey looking in the middle still, but because there was a crust on top I took it out and trusted the recipe as it said it would firm up and be sliceable when cold. And they weren't wrong. It was absolutely delicious. I tried it both hot and cold and while I prefered it cold and more like a set custard, it could easily be eaten both ways.



Absolutely gorgeous and something I could throw together in 5 minutes.

Propoints: 8 (for a sixth of the finished product so could be less if you're unlike me and very careful with the portions ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment